What Is Motivational Interviewing?
Motivational interviewing is a well known, scientifically tested method of counselling clients and is viewed as a useful intervention strategy in the treatment of lifestyle problems and disease. A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials shows that motivational interviewing in a scientific setting outperforms traditional advice giving in the treatment of a broad range of behavioural problems and diseases.
How MI Works
- It relies upon identifying and mobilising intrinsic values and goals to stimulate behavior change.
- It is elicited from the client and not imposed from the healthcare professional.
- Motivational interviewing is designed to elicit, clarify, and resolve ambivalence and to perceive benefits and costs associated with it.
- Readiness to change is understood as a fluctuating product of interpersonal interaction.
- Resistance and ‘denial’ is often a signal to modify motivational strategies.
- Eliciting and reinforcing the client's belief in ability to carry out and succeed in achieving a specific goal is essential.
- The therapeutic relationship is a partnership with respect of client autonomy.
- MI is both a set of techniques and counselling style.
- MI is directive and client-centred counselling understanding and eliciting behavior change.
Handle Counseling Situations With Confidence
Clients come into your office with a range of issues including denial, self-blame, restrictive eating, or refusal to engage in treatment. You've heard it before.
- "I don't know why I am here."
- "I know that I've caused diabetes."
- "I can't eat salad for the rest of my life."
- "I won't take insulin."
You know that change requires more than just knowledge, it takes support. Motivational interviewing will provide you the ‘how-to’ tools to provide non judgemental support and weight neutral care for your clients. This coaching topic is perfect for the professional that has had formal MI training and is looking to bring it deeper into their unique work environment.
Specifics About This Course
- Meets four times over a 2-month period.
- It meets every other week for 1.5 hours
- It starts Oct 5 and meets on Oct 5, Oct 19, Nov 2 and Nov 16 from 3:30-5:00 PM ET.
- Sessions are LIVE and are NOT recorded.