Weight Neutral Diabetes Care
By Holly Paulsen
You may have a good understanding of the importance of Weight Neutral Care and agree that there is a better way than focusing on weight to manage diabetes. But do you feel like you have the tools you need to successfully implement this approach with your clients? Longing for more information and practical applications to deepen your knowledge of Weight Neutral Diabetes Care?
How Does Weight Neutral Care Help?
Weight neutral diabetes counseling focuses on guiding the client toward positive behaviors they can control. Clients often come into appointments for diabetes care feeling defeated and hopeless, thinking weight loss is the only ‘solution’. Weight neutral care empowers the client to take charge of consistently taking medications, attending appointments, enjoying physical activity as able, and approaching monitoring blood sugars with curiosity rather than judgment. We can provide diabetes education through ‘gentle nutrition’-- without an emphasis on overly restrictive eating plans or eliminating favorite foods. Weight neutral care is compassionate care, evidence-based care and it works!
You Have Heard Your Clients Say:
- I know I need to lose weight to lower my blood sugar
- Food and eating feel like a chore; I don’t enjoy food anymore
- My neighbor (sister, uncle, dentist, etc.) told me I should be following the keto diet for my diabetes, I’m not sure what to do
- I’m so tired of counting carbohydrates and watching my weight
- I feel like a failure, I can’t lose weight
Validating our client’s desires for weight loss and navigating those conversations can be challenging. Many health care providers haven’t had the opportunity to practice difficult or challenging counseling scenarios like those listed above. This is why the WN4DC Symposium is excited to announce its new coaching program. The coaching program offers six different live-coaching packages with a range of topics for you to choose from.
Weight Neutral Diabetes Care Coaching is available in two different lengths of sessions to meet your needs. Each session provides a peer group for learning and facilitated practice to increase your skills and confidence. Take your understanding of Weight Neutral Diabetes Care to the next level!
Specifics about These Sessions:
Weight Neutral Diabetes Care Year-Long Coaching Group
- 8 coaching meetings over the course of a year for an in-depth learning experience
- This session meets from 10:00-11:30 am ET
- It will start on Tuesday, Oct 13 and meet on Nov 10, Jan 12, Feb 9, March 9, June 8, July 13, and Aug 10
Weight Neutral Diabetes Care Two-Month Coaching Group
- Meets 4 times over 8 weeks; biweekly
- Thursdays 10:00-11:30 am ET
- Oct 8, Oct 22, Nov 5th and Nov 19th
- All sessions are live and not recorded
- Sessions are facilitated by Holly Paulsen RD, CEDRD-S, LD